5 Finger Comprehension Tips
Thumb: Text type - Narrative
- Discuss the structure - Setting, Characters, Problem in the story, Solution to the problem and Ending
- Think of adjectives to describe the characters in the story.
- Which character would you most like to meet? Why?
Tall finger: Wow words
- Discuss wow words you would use in your own story writing.
- Discuss new words and their meanings.
Ring finger: Retell
- Retell the story – include as much detail as possible without looking through the book.
Little finger: Response
- Think about the whole story. What was your favourite part? Why?
- How many stars out of 5 would you give this book? Why?