School Logo School Logo

New Road

Primary School

Yes I can!

Get In Touch

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

What it means?

  • ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and is a term used to describe children who seem to be over active, impulsive, or have difficulty paying attention.
  • 1 in every 100 children is affected, and it is five times more common in boys than girls.
  • Children with ADHD can be high achieving – ADHD does not stop you from learning!
  • Medication such as Ritalin is sometimes prescribed by a doctor, but is normally a last resort.


What it looks like? 

  • Difficultly following instructions
  • Difficulty sticking to an activity
  • Easily distracted and forgetful
  • Often doesn’t listen when spoken to
  • Fidgets, is restless, and can’t sit still
  • Interferes with other children’s work
  • Can’t stop talking, interrupts others
  • Runs about when inappropriate
  • Blurts out answers without waiting to be asked
  • Difficulty in waiting or taking turns
  • Acting impulsively without thinking about the consequences


If your child exhibits any of these symptoms, it does not automatically mean they have ADHD. All specific educational needs have to be carefully diagnosed by a professional. If you have any concerns, please talk with your child’s class teacher, and they will investigate further.

What can parents do?

  • Make eye contact when speaking to your child
  • Keep instructions simple – one sentence will do
  • Give specific praise – catch them being good
  • Keep calm – your child will mimic your behaviour
  • Provide ‘quiet time’ to deal with temper tantrums
  • Practise ways of distracting your child
  • Provide clear routines
  • Give advance warning when something is about to happen or finish
  • Give options with every question that do not allow the child to say no, for example, “Do you want to put on your coat inside or outside?” 


Where can I get more information? 

You can find out more about ADHD by talking to your child’s class teacher or our Special Needs Co-ordinator. Alternatively, you can visit:-